The plan for the beginning of October has been finalized. Although the US will remain virtual for academics, US athletics will be able to start practicing beginning with the Fall Sports. We are planning to start October 5th. The plan will consist of our student athletes practicing in cohorts with the last names A-L Monday and Tuesday and M-Z on Thursday and Friday. Practices will take place from 4:30PM-5:30PM on those days. If all goes well we will add off-season sports by mid-October. All Athletics Facilities and academic buildings on campus will remain closed. Please take a minute to read over our GCS ATHLETICS COVID-19 POLICY in the 2020-2021 Student-Athlete and Parent Handbook.
In order to participate in the US Fall sport practices on October 5th all medical forms must be completed through Magnus.
October 5th Fall US Athletics Start at 4:30PM. Students should arrive on campus no earlier than 4:15PM. Practices will begin at 4:30PM and end at 5:30PM. Students should depart campus immediately at the end of practice.
Monday and Tuesday Fall sports practices for students with the last names A-L.
Thursday and Friday Fall sports practices for students with the last names M-Z.
Guidelines and requirements for practice:
Students must have completed the magnus symptom check by 3:00PM if they are planning to attend practice that day at 4:30PM. We ask that a screen shot be taken showing the green go and shown to the coach prior to each practice.
Daily screening is done through the Magnus Health mobile app, which can be easily downloaded on any smartphone. If you have not already downloaded the Magnus Health mobile app, please do so as soon as possible and practice using before the first day of athletics. Instructions on how to download the app can be found in this link or view this training video. Once the Magnus app is on your phone, completing the COVID-19 Daily Symptom Screening is easy – simply follow these steps:
- Open the app and login
- Select your child
- Choose the COVID-19 icon on the menu selection screen
- Select the COVID-19 Daily Symptom Screening (it will say ‘Requirement is Incomplete’)
- Complete the 7 screening questions
- Hit the Save button at the bottom of the page
- Once you have completed the screening questions, you will receive either a GO or STOP message directing you what to do next.
- GO: Please proceed with sending your child to school.
- STOP: Please do NOT send your child to school today and follow-up with your pediatrician or primary care provider.
If you have multiple children at GCS who need to be screened, once you’ve completed the screening for the first child, navigate back through the app and select your next child and complete the screening for them.
Parents should also sign up to receive Athletics and Emergency Notifications through the GCS website portal in order to receive any important day of notifications for changes to the on-campus practice schedules and in-season game day changes. Please use the following link for How To Set Up Notifications.
Our COVID-19 system for athletics practices are color coded.
We will begin all practices in YELLOW which is the following:
Pre- workout Screening:
- Coaches will check in athletes prior to entering practice field
- Students must show their coach a screen shot of the Magnus Symptom “Go” message, with current date, and time.
- Any person with symptoms reported should not be allowed to take part in workouts and should contact his or her primary care provider or other appropriate health-care professional.
Limitations on Gatherings:
- Skill development, conditioning progression, heat acclimation. No Team contact activity.
- Locker rooms will not be available to athletes.
- Players will used designated areas on sidelines, marked 6 ft. apart, to place bags, equipment, and water bottles.
- Outdoor restroom facilities will be provided and disinfected before and after practice.
- Practices to be conducted in “pods” of students with the same 5-10 students always working out together. Each “pod” will be restricted to one designated area of the field for the entirety of practice session.
- There must be a minimum distance of 6 feet between each individual at all times.
- Masks can be worn during practice, but MUST be worn on sidelines and going to and from the practice facility. Masks can be briefly removed on sidelines to drink water, or for a break as long as you are 6 ft away from individuals. Masks must be worn if speaking to teammates or coaches.
- Coaches must wear a mask at all times, except when explaining or demonstrating a drill (6 feet away).
- Parents/guardians MUST remain in their cars if remaining on campus.
Physical Activity and Athletic Equipment:
- There should be no shared athletic equipment (towels, clothing, shoes, or sports specific equipment) between students.
- Appropriate clothing/shoes should be worn at all times during practice to minimize sweat from transmitting onto equipment/surfaces. (do not share clothing), and individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at all practices.
- All athletic equipment, including balls, should be cleaned after each use and prior to the next practice.
- Only Coaches will handle all shared equipment (i.e. goals, balls, cones)
- Individual drills requiring the use of athletic equipment are permissible, but the equipment should not be shared within sessions and must be cleaned prior to next session.
- All students shall bring their own filled water bottle. Water bottles must not be shared.
- Touchless water cooler will be available outside Press Box for water bottle refills
A campus map with marked locations for teams to meet can be found here.
Girls Volleyball will meet at the outside Volleyball Court behind the Upper School.
Girls Tennis will meet at the Tennis Courts behind the Upper School.
Girls and Boys Cross Country will meet under the scoreboard outside the Turf Field (Field 3) fence.
Field Hockey will meet on the Turf Field (Field 3).
Boys Soccer will meet on Field 2 (far side opposite Press Box).
Girls Soccer will meet on Field 1 (far side near driveway).
Outdoor restrooms are located along the side of the US Gym, down the stairs from the small parking lot.